What’s better than knowing your are halfway through the week and you realize you need a break from reality, so you figured you celebrate Wine Wednesday. I don’t work the usual Monday to Friday 9am-5pm so when I have an evening off from work this is my opportunity to pop open a couple bottles of wine, create a yummy appetizing spread, play some old skool jams and catch up with my dear friends. As much as I love a good happy hour, sometimes it’s nice to sit in the comforts of your home to truly enjoy the conversations and company you keep.
How to Create the Perfect Wine Night:
- The Wine – I was lucky that Natura Wines offered to send me a couple bottles of wine to host a fun evening event with my friends. I love drinking wine and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and delicious it was to drink. My friends and I taste tested the sauvignon blanc and merlot and both wines were smooth and soft on the palate, and the best part about Natura Wines is that it is organic and gluten free. We polished both bottles and my girlfriend Wendy was vying to try another bottle. (Here’s the link to their website if anyone is interested in trying out yummy organic and gluten free wine – http://www.naturawines.com )
- The Spread – I bought most of my products from Trader Joes. I love how TJ’s has so many options to choose from, though I kept it simple: One soft (triple cream brie), hard (Syrah Infused) & basic (Sharp Cheddar) – they were the perfect assortment of cheese to serve to my guest. I also bought vegetables to roast, tossed them in olive oil and TJ’s garlic seasoning salt, roasted them in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes then voila! What I love about cheese platters is that you can add anything to it to complement your wine & cheese: cured meets, jams , honey, roasted nuts, berries, your options are endless!
- The Company – I enjoy a glass and sometimes two, but the company you keep is what makes experience enjoyable. There is no way I could finish two bottles on my own so I’m grateful that I was able to share it with a few of my dear friends. At the end of the night the best part of the whole experience is the laughter, the conversations and the memories you end up sharing.
Thanks for reading and I hope your next Wine Night is just as memorable as mine.
Disclosure: Although I received these products for free from Natura Wines, all opinions are my own.
I apologize for the delay in posting on my blog, but a lot has changed in my life the past few months and so I needed some time to to take care of myself before I shared aspects of my life again. I was initially going to post my goals in January, but haven’t had the time to sit down and type them all out. To keep things short, I will be sharing my goals that pertain to my name – Three-E- Beverley: Exercise, Eating & Expenses.
- I’m currently training for my first half marathon. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances last year I was not able to attend my first race in San Diego. I was experiencing right knee pain and the doctor highly recommended that I lay off my knee and work on strengthening exercises to build muscles that will help with my running. I was bummed, but knew I didn’t want to create any further injury to my body. So these past few months I’ve been working on strengthening my gluteal muscles and with all the hard work I am happily re-training for my first half marathon again. I’m extremely excited because I was lucky that an opening became available for the Zion Half Marathon two months before the race. This National Park has been on my travel bucket list for a while now, so I’m extremely excited to explore the Park after my race. I have less than 3 more weeks till race day – nervous and excited, but my goal is to enjoy the running journey… even if it may take me 3 hours to complete the race.
- Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide aka BBG – I first heard about the guides after a Shape Up Event from my girlfriend Debbie. I loved seeing all the inspirational transformations on Instagram so in January when Kayla Itsines announced re-starting BBG 1.0 all over again, I figured I give it a go as well. I’m currently on week 10 and am loving the whole fitness journey. I’ve been sharing all my sweaty selfies with my fitness friends on my Insta-Snap and it’s been such a good way to keep myself accountable on this fitness program. I definitely feel my strength growing everyday.
( Transformational photo – you can follow my fitness journey on Threeebeverley on Instagram )
- I love to eat, but who doesn’t? I’m pretty dedicated to meal prepping, but would love to dedicate one month to Whole 30 or not having any type of Sugar aka Candy for a month … well maybe 2 weeks … ok I take it back … for at least one week…I CAN’T HELP IT…. candy is my stress reliever! What’s yours? With all that said, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day these past few months. I’m in love with local organic products and have been incorporating them into my meals in the morning before a hectic 12 hour shift at the hospital. Whole 30 will be a tough commitment for me to dedicate myself to because I’m in love with eating toast these past few months. I still have 9 months to decide, right? Anyone tried whole 30? Would love to hear your thoughts about the tiger blood- it’s such a mystery to me.
- I closed escrow in the month of January. Crazy eh? I bought myself a beautiful house. I can’t believe I took this huge financial step in my life, but I believe it’s an investment that will benefit me financially in the long run. They say that buying a house, getting married and having kids are the three most stressful events you will experience in your life. I can definitely account that buying a house was extremely stressful for me. However it’s been such an amazing experience and I look forward to the hundreds of hiccups that will be heading my way. I plan to continue to max out my 401k, roth IRA as well as my HSA, but we will see how my finances develop this year …I wake up everyday in awe of my new home. I still can’t believe I have a house of my own where I can turn up the music, sing, and dance as though no one is listening and watching …because no one is …and it’s been the most liberating feeling.
Well there it is! All my goals for 2017 – Will update you on the whole journey and thank you for following along.
xoxo – Beverley
So lately I’ve been obsessed with salads due to the warm weather in Los Angeles. This salad requires very few ingredients and can be quickly put together to enjoy with any grilled dish or by itself for a quick bite to eat.
Spinach (1/2 bag of pre-washed spinach)
10-12 strawberries sliced – layer on top
1/4 cup of sliced almonds ( I like to toast the almonds on a pan first for about 2-3 minutes then scattered on top of the salad)
Feta cheese (optional) – May sprinkle crumble feta cheese on top
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove
1/8 of a red onion chopped
1-2 tablespoons of honey
Healthy and delicious. It’s the perfect summer salad treat!
The weather in LA has been extremely hot the past couple of days. I didn’t want to heat up our place with the oven so opted for a healthy BBQ option of lemon pepper chicken wings. I wanted to try something different and asked the Trader Joe’s clerk if she recommended any good spice rub. She suggested the 21 spice. Created this simple marinade, grilled it, then served it.
2 lbs of organic chicken wings
1/4 cup of olive oil
5 cloves of minced garlic ( I love garlic)
1 lemon juice squeezed
1 tablespoon of 21 spice from Trader Joe’s
1 teaspoon of sea salt
Marinate chicken wings for 30 minutes or overnight
Grill chicken wings, 7 minutes on each side.
Keep the remaining the marinade after grilling. We will use to make a sauce to pour over the chicken wings. In a sauce pan, on medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter, combine the left over marinade and allow the ingredients to come to a simmer. Pour mixture over chicken wings and garnish with parsley. This is great as an appetizer or main dish. Bon apetit!
Who doesn’t love Pinterest? While browsing through for kale salads, I came upon the blog thegarlicdiaries.com – If you are a garlic lover, like myself, you should definitely visit her blog. She has an array of recipes that look amazing. This is the first recipe I tried, minus the mustard, but this recipe will become a main staple at home. It’s extremely easy to make and will go with any main dish you decide to serve at home.
2 bunches of kale (I used half a bag of trader joe’s pre-cut kale)
1/2 cup of Sliced almonds
1/2 cup Freshly grated parmasen cheese
Dressing – Mix all ingredients together
1 lemon – squeeze all juices out
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 garlic clove minced or roast a garlic and puree into dressing (Tender Greens offers a kale salad with a roasted garlic lemon vinaigrette – absolutely delicious)
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon zest (optional)
Pour dressing over salad and mix. Simple, easy, and delicious.
Check out thegarlicdiaries.com for more yummy recipes with garlic. This was my first but it definitely won’t be my last. ❤️
Overnight Strawberry Oats Recipe
I went to Target last weekend with my boyfriend and told him I wanted to buy mason jars to go with my new Vitamix blender. I want to be able to bring smoothies to work to drink for breakfast or to have around after a workout. However the jars I wanted are only sold in packages of 12.
David: “We really need 12?”
Me: “Yes!” with a huge smile on my face.
Wanting to make use of my new mason jars, I decided to experiment and make overnight oats. When I went to the grocery store to buy my main ingredients, I saw the delicious strawberries on display. Right then I knew I had to make something with these yummy berries so I quickly searched the Internet and found a recipe from Buzzfeed’s overnight strawberry and oats recipes. I also added the vanilla and cinnamon since I love these two combined flavors.
½ cup of rolled oats
½ cup almond milk or coconut milk
½ cup low fat greek yogurt
1-2 tablespoons of honey (if you prefer sweeter go with 3 – my boyfriend loves sweet)
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Dash of cinnamon
4 strawberries sliced
Combine all ingredients in a jar, mix, and store in a sealed container overnight. Delicious way to start out any work day. Bon appetit!
I was first introduced to avocado toast at a restaurant and I have to admit I didn’t fall in love with it the first time. I thought it was so strange because I can eat scoops of it on it’s own with salt and pepper. Then one day after yoga class as I was shopping at Sprouts, I decided that I will make my own version of avocado toast. I’m officially addicted! What a world of a difference when you prepare your own food at home. Ingredients are fresh and there are no additives. Here’s my simple recipe below.
1 crush garlic clove
Squeeze of lemon
Combine these 3 ingredients and smash the avocado with a fork
1 slice of toasted sprout bread
1 Poached egg
Salt and pepper to taste