There was an interesting study conducted in 2018, which shared that women who were induced during their 39th week had a decreased risk for c-sections, maternal death and still births.  Since my miscarriage in 2018, I developed some anxiety during this pregnancy so I decided to make sure I chose the most favorable outcome.  My birth plan was simple – healthy mother, healthy baby and make sure dad doesn’t faint.  My goal was for everyone to make it out safely.

On January 9, 2020, we made our way to the hospital around 830pm for the beginning of the induction.  After the paperwork, several IV attempts and the placement of the portable monitor, they inserted Cervadil around 11pm to help soften my cervix.  At that moment, I was barely 1cm dilated and had not effaced.

Birthing Room


Pretending to be Calm
But seriously freaking out inside
My first experience as a patient

By 8am the following morning, I had reached 80% effacement.  As a result, my OBGYN placed a Foley ballon inside me which was extremely uncomfortable.  The purpose of the Foley is to assist in increasing dilation.  Once the cervix reaches 4cm the balloon naturally falls out. They also initiated Pitocin to assist in contractions during this time.

Prior to having painful contractions
The Foley Balloon Inserted to assit in Dilation
Dilation Chart

During this time my husband and I walked around the unit to assist with the dilation process.  This was painful to the point of tears!  Thank goodness I requested for the portable monitor as it allowed me the freedom to walk around the unit and not be forced to stay in bed.

Walking Around The Unit
I finally got an epidural



As the morning progressed, contractions were getting stronger and more uncomfortable. My OBGYN returned around 12pm to check on me.  At this point, I was still only 3cm dilated.  She offered me the epidural since I appeared uncomfortable, however my nurse encouraged me to wait since she felt the epidural might slow the process down.  My OBGYN stated that this may actually might help relax me and encourage dilation.  Receiving two different opinions was tough, but I decided to wait a bit longer before receiving the epidural.  By 2:30pm I needed to get the epidural!  I hadn’t progressed but my contractions were becoming increasingly unbearable.  By 3pm, the epidural was in place and it made a world of a difference for me!  The Foley ballon finally fell out 30 minutes afterwards and my water had partially broken.  By this time, I was 4cm dilated and since I was bedridden due to the epidural, the nurses assisted with the use of the peanut ball.  Side note, if your facility provides peanut balls, request for one!  It really helps ease the birthing process.  Within six hours I went from 4cm to 10cm!  Phew! We were almost there!!

Preparing for out little one’s arrival

As we were preparing for our little ones debut, 45 minutes prior to his arrival, I had unfortunately spiked a fever.  So before delivery I was given Tylenol and started on antibiotics.  We immediately started pushing and within 25 minutes I delivered our beautiful baby boy Cameron born at 11:15pm on January 10, 2020.  While his Apgar scores were amazing he unfortunately had to get admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to rule out an infection, as he was febrile after delivery.  Thankfully I was still given a solid hour of skin to skin before his admission into the NICU for a chance to bond and breastfeed with my little one.  It was an amazing experience and I couldn’t believe he was finally here!

After 25 minutes of pushing – baby Cameron is here!
First Family Photo

While our stay at the hospital may have been a bit stressful, I am extremely grateful that necessary precautions were taken to ensure the health of both of us.  Working in the medical industry I knew that this was important however as a new mother I gained a whole new perspective through this experience.

Cameron in the NICU 😦
I stayed overnight with him after I got discharged
Poor baby had to be poked so many times 😦
Baby Cameron less than 24 hours old
Daddy and Cameron moment πŸ™‚

After three long days and nights our son was finally cleared from the intensive care unit and we were able to take our baby boy home.

Getting Ready for Discharge πŸ™‚
Trying to Figure out the Car Seat

We feel extremely blessed with our little guy.  The past two weeks has flown by!  While it’s been exhausting, it’s been wonderful to watch him grow and develop everyday.

We are Home πŸ™‚ #teamnosleep
Getting ready for his first Dr Appointment
All bundled up and ready to go πŸ™‚
Alert and Awake at Night πŸ™‚
Exhausted after our Hospital Stay – Dad had a good nights rest at home πŸ™‚

Thank you so much for reading and following my journey through pregnancy and birth! It’s been such an incredible experience and we look forward to the many upcoming adventures through parenthood.

With much love

Beverley – xoxo